Re: Contact frames

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/14/00-02:27:02 PM Z

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 EWRPhoto@aol.com wrote:

> I am getting tired of my Gravity Works contact frames.....what information do
> you have for vacuum frames? Ernestine Ruben

Gravity Works is a lousy frame, badly designed, and hit you in the eye
with that idiot rubber rope, among other flaws. But no manufactured frame
I know of is really satisfying. On the other hand, vacuum frame has its
own hassles -- I have one, can't bear it, big noisy pain-in-the-neck. And
mine came without a bleed valve, cost $40 to add one so paper isn't
embossed & cemented to film at the same time.

I've heard good things about Kennedy's hand-made frames, my own experience
is with Don Ginther's (Great Basin Photographic, see P-F "Sources &
Services" phone 702/363-1900). My neighbor just got one for 16x20 & is
ardent in delight, also considered the price very modest for the product.

I myself now use two sheets HEAVY glass, which turns out to give good
contact for most combos. I do have the split back Great Basin for 18 by 22
inches, definitely a thing of beauty -- but HEAVY and those clamps... are
clamps, however strong & handsome. Glass on glass is so much easier.

Judy