Post-Factory the Fifth

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/23/00-01:24:48 AM Z

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Jonathan Bailey wrote:>
> I believe something like *everything* you'll need to know about cyanotypes
> (at least for a good long while) is featured in the current issue of The
> World Journal of Post-Factory Photography. Knowing that Judy (the founder,
> publisher and editor - who often lurks on this very list) would hesitate to

Hi Jon, Jamie, and all -- first, Jon you are a prince among men, not
only for the plug, but for saying I *lurk* on the list. May I take that to
mean I'm not "talking" too much? Thank you.

I'm late in "announcing" Issue #5 to the list because, as science has
recently proven, there's always more to do and less time to do it. But
I will skim highlights now & tell how interested persons can get a copy of
Issue #5.

After testing every cyanotype toner in "the books," I concluded that the
good formulas, the ones that really work, all use tannic acid (as in tea,
need I add?) with some form of alkali. We (students and I) fine-tuned
several variations: split toning, with rosy-tan highlights & blue-purple
shadows, being the all-time favorite. Our water/paper/emulsion combination
showed so little effect with lead toner we gave up on it, but some folks,
eg., Bob Schramm & Stefan Oertel, swear by it. (Stefan's formula is
included.)

The rest of the cyanotype section ("Rhapsodies in Blue," "Managing the
Blues," "Cyantifically Speaking" -- it's hard to resist those puns, tho
folks reproached me for overlooking others), covered the formulas, their
pros and cons, detailed instructions, contrast controls, variables,
storage, and paper, with sections on effects of added size, paper range,
print character, texture, color, and speed, plus a long list of "good
cyano papers according to scale." Test strips show effects of age of
emulsion, pre-coats, method of drying, paper, and develop-down. The eye is
relieved by many fetching cyanotypes, old and new.

Liam's Famous this issue is his you-really-can-do-it-yourself printing-out
paper (POP), in 4 pages of detailed instructions and formulas, cleverly
combining knowledge, research, grind and innovation. Bernice Cutler builds
some 9-hole pinholes; Kent Rush makes a REALLY large cyanotype, Don Bryant
tells how (and why) to "Build Your Own UV Printer"; and Catherine
Rogers tells how she saved the farmers of West Australia by cyanotype.

Well that's actually in the essay section, where Rogers's "Meditation on
Blue" brims with results of her ongoing research and (may I say it?)
lyrical reflections. My own essay,"The Taste of a Frugivorous Ape and
other rants from the DUMB-QUOTE FILE," feasts on pronouncements of experts
past, from Sir Kenneth Clark's dismissal of "modernism in photography" to
P.H. Emerson's claim that Turner's "garish colorings" were due to senility
and "a diseased eye." John Ruskin, Horst Janson, Helmut Gernsheim, Clement
Greenberg, Donald Kuspit, A. D. Coleman, and the New York Times are among
others who SPOKE TOO SOON.

If I find it in the file, I'll flaunt a different line of praise, to the
effect that "the Beatles had their White Album, Post-Factory has its Blue
Issue, best yet." But so far the interviews have brought the most feedback
from the world at large: "John Dugdale -- as chance would have it, the
'boy next door'" is a loving neighbor's tale of his history in the Ivory
Attic, with flashbacks to his childhood and forwards to the fish in the
garbage pail, among other neighborhood incidents, with a passing nod to
that "other blind John," John Milton.

"Galina Manikova, Nordic-Russian Goddess," is an equally remarkable yet
completely different adventure story: daughter of an officer high in
Stalin's military, she read the forbidden literature (Solzjenitsen, et al)
as a teenager, fled to Israel with her childhood sweetheart, then to
Norway without him, en route mastering cyano on ceramics, fabric and
glass. Installations of giant nude self portraits are among her other
feats of art, technology & poetry.

"Larry Gottheim and his Wild Blue Vernacular" interviews the most famous
collector of cyanotypes in the known world and shows gems from his
collection, adding a post-script about Gottheim's innovative print auction
and catalog. Julia Margaret Cameron fans get a portrait of Julia on a
paper bag from the gift shop at Dimbola Lodge, plus the drama of
townspeople who saved the historic site and many vignettes from life of
Victorian genius.

Not to leave out A. D. Coleman's Letter-to-Editor and my Editor's Reply in
skeptic mode about Coleman's claims of "conspiracy" surrounding the
"disappearance" of William Mortensen; the rave review of Randall Webb's
Spirits of Salts; review of new photography magazine, "Photovision," and
interview with Robert Hirsch, author of "Seizing the Light," a new history
of photography, There are of course 5 pages of sources and services,
updated.

Folks who have never had a "free introductory issue" of Post-Factory
Photography (benighted souls) can have #5 for cost of the postage ($1.50
for US or Canada, $3 for overseas) in check or coin sent to

Post-Factory Photography, 61 Morton Street, NYC, NY 10014.

Or #5 can be added to a new subscription as bonus: a total of 5 issues for
$25.50, US postage included. Details upon OFFLIST request.

PS. About the tea soak: it should tone the image, according to the type of
tea and length of soak, but also stains the paper base. The effect can be
charming, although a bit on the murky side. As far as I know, both tea and
coffee are "archival" (used in hand dying, crafts, paper-making, etc.),
although some teas have dyes added which may not be archival. (Who can say
in advance what some damnfool company will do?)

Sorry this is so long -- but Post-Factory is even longer.

best,

Judy