attaching photos to aluminum

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 11/28/00-11:10:29 AM Z

Thanx, Jonathan, for giving me Kent Rush's email address. Here is his
reply, cut and pasted, in case anyone wants to know how to attach photos to
aluminum archivally. I called Light Impressions to get some feedback and
the customer service person there knew absolutely nothing (duh); checked the
internet for other ideas and came up short, so Kent Rush's info is great.
Chris

Christina,
Please give my regards to Jonathan!
I "wet mount" fiber base photographs to aluminum.
I first sand the face of the aluminum to give it "tooth."
You may then clean it with alcohol to remove any residual grease.
I soak the photo prior to the adhering.
I use Elmer's white glue but you should probably use PVA for archival
purposes.
I dilute the glue to a milky consistency w/water.
I apply it to the aluminum face and to the blotted back of the photo (brush
or paint roller).
I lay the photo onto the aluminum and proceed to squeegee the air bubbles
out by applying water to the face of the photo as a lubricant and then
squeegeeing from the center outward. I do this twice around.
I then sponge the surface of the print clean with water then wipe dry, lay
the mounted print flat, place photo blotters over the surface followed by
corrugated cardboard and then some other flat/hard material such as a
plywood sheet and then weights on top of that.
I replace blotters after the first hour then wait for 24 hours.
Any blotter fibers sticking to the photo surface may be removed by
soft wiping with a damp cotton rag or sponge.
Hope this is helpful.
Kent Rush