Re: Palladium

Kerik717@aol.com
Date: 11/30/00-10:51:02 AM Z

Emma,

A word about Kallitype. I've been printing platinum for 10 years now and just recently started working with the kallitype process. I would recommend against starting with Kallitype, even though it is much cheaper than Palladium. I think you will find that Kallitype is a much more difficult process to master than platinum/palladium. The main hurdles with Kallitype are complete clearing, loss of image density during processing, consistency, and image permanence. For proper clearing, fixing, and toning you will need many more steps in the Kallitype process than pt/pd printing. I think you will get to satisfying results much sooner (and with less headache) with pt/pd. And, since you're only printing 4x5 for now, the cost of materials for pt/pd shouldn't be a major issue. You should be able to make 4x5 palladium prints for less than $1 each. Start with an inexpensive paper that works well single coated - the Cranes 90# cover that Carl mentioned would be a good choice.

Good luck!
Kerik Kouklis
www.Kerik.com