Re: Kodak SO-339 Direct Duplicating Film

In a message dated 10/6/00 3:47:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
isabella32@earthlink.net writes:

> Has anyone used this film? Other than the cost, are there any
>  disadvantages to using this film rather than making enlarged negs via
>  interpositives? Any advantages? It seems advantageous to skip a
>  generation when making enlarged negs. Can anyone enlighten me?
>
>  thanks,
>
>  William Linne
William

I used SO339 and it's previous equivalent for over 20 years. I got good
results for negs for gum and cyanotype. I found it versatile. I developed
(totally flat bottom tray so the ribs don't leave their mark) in Dektol 1:12
for 5 minutes using ortho safelights. It was nice to have.

However, the last time I bought a box of 8X10 (1994) it was over $100 for 50.
The "SO" stands for special order so you may have to order two boxes at a
time and wait a bit. You should check around the larger houses for stock.

It is a long process. Unless I was doing a lot of it I had trouble thinking
backwards; more exposure, thinner neg... burning is dodging. That, you can
overcome.

I also used lith film in very dilute Dektol but that gives a third generation
neg and probably would only use if I were really desperate.

Not that you asked...large negs turned out to be the best thing to use for
alt process. But that big camera that you have to lug around...

Hope this helps-
Carole