separation negatives for colour?

I would like to try some colour prints from slides in direct carbon.

I am - at least at this point - not concerned with absolutely natural
colour renderings, but would like to explore possibilities of "recreating"
my slides' colours in different pigments.

I do not have a scanner, so I would like to try the analog road.
My question: is there a cheaper way for separation negatives than
panchromatic film? Is there photographic paper/orthochromatic film which
can be tweaked to work? Is there room for experiments or would these be
doomed from the beginning?

Lukas