Re: BIG

The image should determine its final size not some art trend, or gallery
speak.  Photographs can be large or small depending on the reason for their
existence.  On average photographs are smaller than other forms of art but
that lends to them an intimacy that the larger works cannot have.  You
cannot walk up really close to a very large painting.  The large painting
forces you back to a more comfortable viewing distance.  I was originally
going to exhibit my MFA thesis show (Dec 3-16, 2000 in SF.  Stay tuned for
more detains) in 8x10 platinum prints.  The subject matter is nude images of
men and women and I felt originally that I wanted to add the textural nature
of PT to the work.  But after I was a few months into the project I decided
to change over to silver gelatin prints.  The main reason was size, because
I decided that the work would address its issues better if the pieces were
large (4 ft by 8 ft) and I was restricted by the realistic size limitations
of PT.  I did nit choose to make these prints large because large is the
trend.  In fact I just had a show up at UC Berkeley for two months and the
twenty images were 5" x 5" prints of the 100 year old Santa Cruz Beach
Boardwalk amusement park.  I have printed these images larger, but everyone
said that the small work was very intimate and inviting to the viewer and
reminded them of precious, little things.  So let the work decide what size
it should be.  After all it is your work, so please yourself first.

Gary Miller