problems with Temperaprint

  Dear Garet ,

-----Original Message-----
From: Ewaldz, Dave, /dme <dme@Ingersoll.com>
Subject: RE: Synteape location

>I have used it in the Frederick Fotempera process with
success.

>>I, on the other hand, could not get it to work.  The
emulsion was very thin,  would not coat uniformly, and came
off easily.  Dave, did you find a good gradation of tones?
The weak image that I obtained was of high contrast,
essentially posterized.  I have assumed it would take many
coats to build up an image and have given up.

Garet Denise
Garet@Cornerstone-Inspection.com<<

I am sorry that you have given up on my process as once you get into it the
technique is easy and was specifically designed for student use.We have at
the moment ten students of the school of Temperaprint producing images for
Exhibition in the UK. Who have just completed three exhibitions this year
and have a prestigious one planned for early January dedicated to the
Millennium Dome to be mounted at The Mafuji gallery north London.

Firstly as you surmised it is a multiple coat process ! however if you  use
a strong pigment coating you will be able to obtain a fully graduated
monochrome image in
three coats not  too onerous. it takes me approximately two to three hours
to obtain a full multicolour print  in CYMK ,which again compares
favourably with other dichromated colloid image making systems. Also a
contone negative image is perfectly usable normally three printing would be
required to produce a fully scaled tonal result , however we prefer a
stochastic image generated through a computer for obvious reasons.

Your perception of the process is wrong Garet , this is an easy trap to
fall into as my co-founderof the School of Temperaprint  Alex Chater and
myself only started to use egg in the early 90' and then almost by accident
, therefore no previous track record is available for reference.You will
however find examples of work in the Spirits of Salts  book by Randall Webb
and Martin Reed, also in the recent publication Coming into Focus by John
Barnier and on my website --:

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/

Pete

Ps We also use a four inch plastic foam roller which gives a very even coat