Re: doretone orotone

At 2000/10/18 11:01 AM +0200, Jean-Paul Gandolfo wrote:
>The thread concerned with dorotype or doretype is connected with orotone.
>Here in Paris, we have an exhibition of Curtis prints. Some orotones ,
>olds and news (alternative) are included. I am in touch with Cristopher
>Cardozo, the owner of the prints and the man  who have the idea to
>recreate the glass plate process of Curtis and the head of the Ilford team
>who coat the gelatine bromide plate for  M. Cardozo..
>I have researched files about orotone in photo alt and photo history. Some
>informations were found but this topic is quiet uncommon.

Information on orotone is available at:

http://www.utahcard.com/magazine/education/terms/photography/07.html
http://members.nbci.com/altphotoprc/alt99a/0332.html

Note in the latter reference that Luis Nadeau states that his Encyclopedia
has information on these processes. As I understand it, orotones are merely
prints on glass backed with gold. They bring good prices at auctions!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net