Re: specks and ziatype

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, nze christian wrote:

> hello all
> what ever the name ziatype or sullivanotype or Ratype we all known that it
> is only a variation of Platinum palladium process . It is just a little bit
> simpler to recognize between traditionnal, mike ware version , pizzitype.
> I don't know all the meaning of the zia symbol and his importance. But find
> it to be a good name for a sun sensitive process.

The degree of offense is perhaps in the eye of the beholder. Essentially,
Europeans appropriated the land of the "native American" inhabitants,
killing them off either rapidly or slowly, confining the survivors to
enclaves where they were impoverished, disenfranchised and otherwise
diminished. Some remnants of these people, either authentic or
opportunist, now object to "appropriation" of their "sacred symbols."

That the use of the term was not originally seen as an offense perhaps
attests to the ignorance of what we now call "the dominant culture," &
among its greater or lesser crimes, depending on your point of view.
Certainly it's trivial compared to the *original* offense, which anyone
familiar with US history (let alone world history) could figure out wasn't
seen as offense *at the time* either, rather reclaiming god's country from
savages, "manifest destiny," & so forth. Still, some may see it as twist
of the knife.

Meanwhile & of course,"politically correct" is more flexible than George
Bush's math. Is calling college football teams Red Indians, or Braves, or
whatever demeaning & racist, or an ignorant/innocent "association", even a
tribute?

I myself think of the new building on Hudson St which replaced several
small commercial printers there since previous century. They named it --
what else? -- Printing House. This being the age of irony, the neighbors
rather savor the name -- tho still deploring the loss.

Judy