Re: Off Topic - Zia/Political Correctness, was Re: specks and ziatype

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Cactus Cowboy wrote:

> What's so terribly offensive about using "Zia" to describe a photographic
> process?  I agree with Nze Christian; it is a "good name for a sun sensitive
> process", given the meaning behind the symbol.
>
> I must take issue with Judy's contention that "Meanwhile & of
> course,"politically correct" is more flexible than George Bush's math."  In
> fact, "political correctness" is one of the most inflexible and intolerant
> dogmatic codes to ever emerge from the radical left.  For the champions of
> PC, I remind you that (in the U.S.A. at least) it's still a free country,
> we're guaranteed freedom of speech (thanks to the Constitution), and nobody
> has the right to never be offended.

Shucks Cowboy, I thought you were going to defend Bush's math, so at least
I don't have to deal with that. In my own experience, PC is often absurd,
but not necessarily any more inflexible and intolerant than calling folks
concerned with such issues "radical left"  (tsk tsk!). In fact regular
garden variety moderate might consider the epithet itself worse than "PC"
on the grounds that hostility is worse than sanctimony (tho that's
obviously a very personal decision).

But lest I stray further into deep water, let me offer a for-instance. One
such double view that leaps to mind is recent GIANT kerfluffle in NYC
schools when teacher in mostly black school read children book about
"nappy" hair. In even middle-of-road circles such is considered wholesome
and constructive building of self esteem, hardly radical goals. Among the
school parents, however, the term "nappy" was mortal insult (perhaps
showing need of the book !!). The teacher was practically burned at the
stake. I could cite several such episodes without even breathing hard, but
have to get something else done today.

Obviously the folks who chose the name "zia," considered it innocuous,
also appropriate. However, there has been a HELLUVA hassle about it, still
I gather picking up steam. The point is that exactly its common commercial
use dilutes and degrades the sacred term. So if you live in Santa Fe,
might not be your best choice --especially for a business concerned with
PR if not PC. In the same way, talking "nappy hair," ESPECIALLY in view of
the kerfluffle, might be considered rude and provocative.  To make the
issue a matter of "first-amendment rights" might in fact be seen as, um,
dogmatic.

best,