Re: Scans

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: "Garet Denise" <Garet@Cornerstone-Inspection.com>
Cc: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>;
<alt-photo-process-error@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: Scans

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Garet Denise wrote:
>
> > FWIW,
> >
> > I have found my UMAX scanner to be abysmal.  Both the
> > scanner and the transparency adapter had to go back to the
> > factory for repairs.  The software is the pits (although
> > someone smarter than me could probably figure out a way to
> > drive it with more intelligent software).
> >

> Which model was that, Garet?  I had to return one UMAX scanner THREE
> TIMES, each one was defective -- over a full year. Finally swapped it for
> new model which so far so far so far has been fine. (I've had 5 or 6
> scanners, incidentally, not a one of them had software a person with IQ
> above room temp couldn't do better.)

Nikon Scan is IMHO sensibly laid out and easy to use (but it only works with
Nikon scanners). There are a couple of  independent scanner interfaces
available which are _much_ better than some of the other makers' standard
interfaces. Vuescan is one such,  Artscan another. Both are available on the
Web, though I don't have the URLs to hand. These interfaces work with a wide
range of machines.

Rod