Real 1200 DPI?

There are Scanners with 1200 DPI sensors that do not need interpolation, at
least in the fixed width direction. Shortly there will be 2400DPI and I
think there is a Epson 1800 DPI scanner out there, W/O interpolation.

The problem , electrically / photon "icly" is that the sensors are remaining
the same width so to get MORE DPI the actual sensing element is getting
smaller.  What this means is less photon's to make electrons. To put it
another way some of the Scanner's advertise 12 bit resolution per color.
Well they get less than 2 to the 12th power electrons to convert to a
specific level for the computer to use.

Simply put they are not getting enough electrons , assuming one electron per
bit of color depth, to really give 12 bits of resolution.  So as always
buyer beware. I can say the domestic makers are aware of this and struggle
to keep the sensor close to saturation to give an authentic , hopeful,
resolution.