Re: Censorship issues

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Miller" <gmphotos@earthlink.net>
To: "Alternative Photo Group" <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 5:37 PM
Subject: Censorship issues

> I thought that the collective minds of the list might be able to help with
> situation that I am currently encountering.  I am a graduate student who
> will finish my MFA Fine Art Photography degree in December.  As part of my
> final review/graudation I am entitled to a gallery show at my school in
one
> of their galleries.  I recently presented copy slides of the 15 images
that
> will appear in my final show to my department director for approval.  The
> series is a group of figure studies of men and women.  He approved the
> images, but with one exception.   The fear is that the school can somehow
be
> held legally responsible for any ramifications that the display of this
> controversial image may bring.  In order to have the possibility of
> displaying this image I have been asked to produce some sort of
> documentation that indicates that the school (the gallery providers) are
not
> liable or responsible for the content of the exhibit.  I was hoping
someone
> might me able to provide me with some references or legal citings that
would
> satisfy this requirement, or any other ammunition that you may provide.
> Thank you for your assistance.  You may email me offlist at
> gmphotos@earthlink.net.  Thanks
>

> Gary Miller

Censorship issues rest on the responsibility of the venue.  The school is
responsible and your declaration gives you freedom.

Laws are 'to protect me, not restrict you' here is an interpretation but one
view is that it protects thee.

The only liability would be if the elimination of one picture would effect
your grade for not having met the accomplishment, requsite number of prints;
and by their descrimination they restrict orlibel your reward.

Without material penalty there is nothing but pride, here.

Sign their paper and stand tall.  I pray you get an 'A'

S. Shapiro