SCANS

DEAR LIST,
    I finally had time to catch up on a few threads and wanted to offer my
experience with UMAX.  I too have the 2200 and had many problems getting it
up and running.  A call to the tech support suggested one thing which solved
everything...they said up grade from 64 meg RAM to 128 meg
RAM...PRESTO...works like a dream!  It appears that the data stream from the
scanner was overloading the RAM  I had available given the other things that
I had active.
    Secondly, I tried to scan negatives and transparencies and had the
problem with streaking until I realized that one must NOT have anything over
the little (1/4 X 5) clear strip just above the (4X5) clear film area of the
transparency adapter.  It appears that that strip establishes a "clear"
level for the scanner.   Anything over it screws up the tonal calibration
and introduces streaks.  You may already know this but it took me a few
tries to get figure it out.  I discovered it using film larger than the 4X5
window in the transparency adapter part of which laid over the strip.  When
I moved the film off of the strip...gone were the streaks.
                                            CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                                                    BOB KISS