Re: alternative processes.

Hi Linda

The simple answer to your question is -- control and results.  I wouldn't
call myself a control freak, but I do like the idea of having control over
all (or at least most)aspects of the print.  The most important thing
however, is results.

I remember when I made my first decent palladium print, work that wouldn't
stand a chance by my current standards.  It almost seemed alive.  It had a
visceral quality that I hadn't seen on mass-manufactured materials.
Suddenly, conventional silver prints (even the work of the great
masters)seemed lifeless and shallow by comparison.   I am speaking of print
tonality and surface quality of course, not the over-all value of their
work.

I don't have any idea whether there is a difference in the popularity of
alt.processes in other countries.  I don't know if there has been a new
resurgence of interest, o0r if it is just a continuation of the resurgence
that started in the '60s.  But, I do know that there are people all over the
world who choose one or more of these processes because they offer benifits
that the standard products just can't match.
Good luck,

Bob Lyman ( railroad@northweb.com )
http://www.geocities.com/Soho/Workshop/7610/
http://www.artists-in-residence.com/users/radiance/