Re: PROCESS LENSES FOR ENLARGING?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/02/00-04:48:45 PM Z

At 08:00 AM 09/02/2000 -0300, you wrote:
>DEAR LIST MEMBERS WHO REALLY KNOW THEIR OPTICS.
> I have acquired an 8X10 enlarger merely for the cost of shipping which
>wasn't cheap but better than paying a purchase price as well! It has no
>lenses. I have everything I need up to 4X5 but need to get a lens for
>enlarging my 8X10 negs. I know that anything between 300mm and 360mm would
>be fine
> MY question: Can one use a process lens for enlarging. By "Process" I
>mean a lens from a graphic arts camera that was used to make separation negs
>before we had scanners. I understand they are flat field, often
>Apochromatic to focus the seps at the same plane, and seem to work in the
>correct magnification range. One might argue that they are/were more
>expensive than enlarging lenses but with the conversion to digital prepress
>there are quite a few of these lenses languishing on the shelves at printing
>companies who would be happy to get some cash to invest in the next
>generation of
>digital prepress. They can be had very reasonably. Of course, nothing is
>reasonable if it doesn't work.
> I think this is on topic because I will be using this enlarger to make
>enlarged interpos/negs from 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10 negs for alt processes as
>well as silver/gel enlargements. And, heck, it is an interesting
>question...yes?
> CHEERS!
> BOB KISS

  You bet! The standard lenses for very high end enlarging (Saltzman) were
Apochromatic Artars. Red-Dot Artars are coated and reasonably low flare.
More modern process lenses work just as well. The only shortcoming is speed.
  The "optimum" magnification range for an Artar is about 1:5 to 5:1, but
they do very well at other magnifications. This sort of work is exactly
what these lenses were intended for.
  A 10" lens will cover 8x10 at low magnifications. 360mm is too long, you
will have a problem with head hight. 300mm is fine. It will have somewhat
better corner illumination than a 250mm.
  If you got an old Saltzman congratulations, they are probably the best
enlargers ever made. The big old Elwoods are not in the same class but are
very servicable and practical. If you have a later model it shold have no
problems. Earlier Elwoods had silvered mirrors which are nearly always
completely tarnished. The later ones had aluminized mirrors which are
usually in good condition. Aristo makes cold light heads for either
Saltzman or Elwood enlargers.
  Tell people you have captured a Martian and are keeping it in the
darkroom.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.