Re: Straining Van Dyke Solution?

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 09/03/00-11:21:19 AM Z

> Greetings. I am about to make some van dykes after having not made any for
> many years. The silver nitrate solution is pretty murky, should it be
> strained through cheese cloth or something else or just used as is?
>
> TIA Carole

If you are referring to the complete solution with the ferric ammonium
citrate and tartaric acid combined with the silver nitrate and if you used
distilled water and it is murky in a greenish way, I would not bother with
straining through cheesecloth. Over time silver will begin to precipitate to
the bottom of the solution in dull gray chunks and eventually you will have
a weak iron print without much silver in it but even with that precipitate,
I am simply avoiding shaking the bottle and letting the silver remain
undisturbed on the bottom. Vandyke is one solution that I do not agitate
once it has been mixed. It is best not to try to print with the dregs of the
solution.

Happy printing!
Sarah