ARCHIVAL RAPID FIX

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 09/04/00-07:14:34 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    EGAD! Me AGAIN! With another borderline off topic question. Well, we
could make inter negs/pos faster with an archival rapid fix...right? ;-))
    I have received a response from the Image Permanence Institute stating
that rapid fixers made from Sodium Thiosulfate and Ammonium Chloride can,
indeed, be used for archival processing given the proper washing, toning,
etc. The "wisdom" that I had heard in the past was that rapid fixers were
NOT archival. I know it is best to leave the hardener out so let's not run
down that road.
    It also recommended for pyro developed negatives because it is alkaline
and does not reduce the stain the way an acid hardening fixer would.
Further it is said that it helps clear TMax films better and removes the
antihalation dye more thoroughly. Great to all of this.
    Photographers Formulary markets a LIQUID TF-4 archival rapid fixer which
I would love to buy but, at the cost of shipping from Montana to Barbados, I
am loath to ship WATER, something which we have in abundance here!!! I
would like to get a formula for an archival rapid fixer which I can make up
from the dry chems which I will happily buy from Photogs Formulary.
    Anyone got one?
    If this is too far off topic, please respond directly. Thanks yet again
for your indulgence.
    And to "Mah fellah 'Muricans" Enjoy your Labor Day!
                                CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                                        BOB KISS