Re: ARCHIVAL RAPID FIX

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 09/04/00-09:52:40 AM Z

Bob,

> Photographers Formulary markets a LIQUID TF-4 archival rapid fixer which
>I would love to buy but, at the cost of shipping from Montana to Barbados, I
>am loath to ship WATER, something which we have in abundance here!!! I
>would like to get a formula for an archival rapid fixer which I can make up
>from the dry chems which I will happily buy from Photogs Formulary.
> Anyone got one?

I recommend the TF-3 formula in Anchell and Troop's The Film
Developing Cookbook. It is an alkaline fixer similar to TF_4,
formulated with ammonium thiosulfate. I don't have the formula on
hand but will be happy to send it to you later this evening if
someone does not make it available earlier.

When using TF-3 with pyrogallol and pyrocatechin staining developers
like PMK and Pyrocat I find that you get maximum image staining with
the fixer/wash and there is no need to do an alkaline after fix bath,
as recommended by Hutchings for PMK for example.

Sandy King