Re: THYMOL

From: Gerard NIEMETZKY (gerard@atxstudio.com)
Date: 09/06/00-10:29:49 AM Z

In the making of our emulsions we used Thymol to prevent fungus:
Thymol solution = 10% solution in Isopropanol
and then we add 5ml of this solution to 1000g (1kg) of emulsion to be
coated.

We are now using 0.5g of Chlorocresol (instead of Thymol) for 1000g (1kg) of
gelatin to treat.

Does it help?

Best regards

--
Gerard Niemetzky
http://www.atxstudio.com

From: Bob Kiss <bobkiss@caribsurf.com> Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 08:50:55 -0300 To: "ALT PHO PROC." <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca> Subject: THYMOL

DEAR LIST Although I have heard that Thymol is toxic but still used in Listerin and generic knocks-off I recall reading something about using it as a final rinse for b&w silver-gelatin prints to prevent fungus...something about which I must be concerned here in Paradise (Barbados). I believe it was supposed to be used as a 5% "tincture" (solution with alcohol as solvent) but I don't know if it should be used immediately after washing, before squeeging and screen drying or if the print should be dried then re-immersed and re-dried. Also, should I used ethanol (surgical) or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol? Do does anyone on the list know anything about these procedures?

CHEERS! BOB KISS