Re: Three-color gum prints/cyanotype

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 09/10/00-01:27:58 PM Z

>Garimo, I read your paper on cyanotype and liked it on the whole. It seems
>centered, personal and inviting. I did wonder about your contact printing
>arrangement. I would include a sheet of 1" foam between the plate glass and
>the plywood for better contact. Also, I would tape one side of the negative
>with two small pieces of clear tape against the sensitized paper so that I
>could inspect the exposure and be assured of a good print on the first try.
>I would look for solarized grays where I wanted deep blues and I'd realize
>that whatever was green or light blue would wash out to white.

Thank you for the feedback Sarah,
 That paper was one part of a process assignment for a writing class,
the other part was the oral presentation where we had to demonstrate
the chosen process with props. I think the best presentation in the
class was from a woman who is a private chef for a family in Los Gatos.
Her process was how to carve a turkey... and she brought one to class,
it was great fun... a tasty oral presentation.
 I usually rip up a piece of coated paper and do test exposures before
making a full size print, but in a class situation I think the tape on
the negative would be a very useful tip. I'm wondering how much of it
shows in the print after exposure. I'm really attached to making
borders around the image with my brush strokes, even though I know many
people are opposed to showing brush strokes, and mask their
negatives... so I wouldn't want any tape shapes to show on my own
prints, but I do think it could at times be very useful. And you're
right about leaving out the information about the foam. I do use a kind
of foam, and also have clamps that presses the glass down on my 22X30"
frame...
thanks,
garimo

and Judy, I'm anxiously waiting to read PF#5... please hurry!