Re: Tutti Nudi

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 09/15/00-12:44:18 AM Z

Oh, yeah, now I have to chime in on this one. I agree with Sandy all the
way. Newton's women are ***Newton's*** fantasy. Believe me, if I sauntered
around dressed in nothing but stilettos it wouldn't be my idea of power
play--however, my husband would think he had gone to heaven.
     It is akin to the old
"go-to-the-doctor's-office-and-get-a-shot-in-the-butt-by-a-buxom-sexy-nurse"
kinda deal.
     However, Maria is probably right, that in Newton's sexual fantasy he
seems to prefer powerful women having the more dangerous upper hand. I
remember reading about his psychology behind his photographs once to this
effect. The question could be answered I suppose by asking his models who,
in fact, directs the shoot--do they have creative control? I doubt it.
     And, maybe this is a gender/ cultural thing, I don't desire power over
another human being. Can of worms, here? But how many women would want to
identify with Newton's women? I desire internal empowerment, but not
external power if it means being in control of another. Too much
responsibility. And this is one of the points I make in Tutti Nudi (now a
household word--or at least a subject line on the internet): women need to
portray what they consider a fantasy in art/photography. Heck, it's been
going on for thousands of years by male artists, so why not share our
concepts, too? I can't believe it would be finding a great deal at
Walmart...or finally getting the bathroom floor spic and span...
     And furthermore, isn't it bizarre as you say, Maria, that we remember
Anne Bancroft's name and not whatsherface? That movie really made
impressions on people!! Did it empower the older, sexual woman, though, or
make her into a fool? I'd say it was on a whole, negative, altho I also
acquiesce to there being a prevalent young male fantasy about bedding one's
friend's mother. Nowadays there is even an acronym for that amongst teens
in America: MILF. Don't ask me to translate, but I have to say when I
heard someone called me a MILF I took it as a compliment...
Chris