Re: Tutti Nudi (fini ici)

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 09/19/00-04:48:07 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>

> You described naked-lady photography (or whatever the term at that point)
> as "commonly accepted", therefore by implication OK.

It _is_ okay. That's the simple point. Taking pictures of people with no
clothes on is okay. Simple as that. Because as soon as you start saying ,
"Oh, this stuff's fine, but that stuff, no can't have that, no no no," then
you set yourself up as an arbiter of taste, and pretty soon censorship
follows. As long as we are talking about people taking pictures of other
people _with their consent_, what possible right does anyone have to
interfere anyway, even if the pictures are unmitigated garbage?

No, actually, please, no offence, but don't try to answer that. It's late
and I have work to finish. Anyway, with respect, I've heard it all before,
and not just this week. Indeed I was going to go into the argument again,
but then, let's face it- for the past 25 years I have been listening to, and
challenging, the same arguments you have been rehearsing this week and in
fact there is far more, and better, photography of the nude -and in fact art
of the figure generally- around today than there was then, so the debate
would appear to have moved on somewhat despite us.

Contumely? Let me see, " (subjection to) insulting language or treatment"
according to the Oxford. I was not aware that anyone had been insulting, and
if you consider that I have been insulting to you, then I would answer by
saying that I merely gave as good as you were handing out. Just in case
you'd forgotten, my first comment, a good-humoured tease, was not even made
to you- but you felt the need to have a go at me! You might want to remember
our national motto, which is, as you may be aware, "Nemo me impune
lacessit".

There has been spirited and robust debate, yes indeed argument, but there is
nothing wrong with that at all. The rights which artists have to make the
work they choose to are too valuable simply to give up in order to avoid a
contretemps.

>discussion has been,
> in large part, an interesting break from the purely technical.

As it will be the next time round, doubtless................unless..........

Tell you what - you promise to stay off your soapbox, and I'll promise to
stay off mine.

Rod