Re: Kodak to re-introduce Super-XX?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/19/00-04:50:20 PM Z

At 10:57 AM 09/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>I just heard through the grapevine that Kodak will shortly begin producing
>>Super-XX again. Can anyone confirm this?
>

>There was some discussion on this rumor a few weeks ago. I can
>confirm that the overwhelming evidence is that it ain't gonna happen.
>
>Sandy King

  This got discussed on one of the rec.photo Usenet groups (probably
darkroom) a short time ago. I checked with Thom Bell of Kodak who said he
had heard nothing. I've seen or heard similar rumors for a couple of years.
  There are many reasons for thinking its not so, not the least of which is
that Kodak may not even know how to make the emulsion anymore. Emulsion
making, especially older emulsions, is very proprietary. If the person who
was chief emulsion maker for Super-XX has retired or died there may be no
one else who knows exactly how it was made.
  There _is_ a Super-XX motion picture film, its not the same as the old
still film, but its existence may explain the continuing rumors.
  T-Max 100 actually has similar characteristics to the old Super-XX still
film in that it has a short toe, long straight line, H&D curve and fairly
uniform spectral characteristic. Plus, its much sharper and less grainy.
  T-Max gets a bad rap because it requires more care in processing than
most other films. I've read complaints from folks who evidently don't
understand the fundamental relationship between exposure, contrast, and
development.
  If you want a good demonstration of the effect of H&D curve shape on
tonal reproduction make test shots on both T-Max 100 and on Plus-X Pan
Professional Sheet Film. Plus-X sheet (but not roll or 35mm) is virtually
all toe.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.