WHAT EVER! Re: What makes photography art

From: Jon (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/26/00-09:35:56 AM Z

> So, what does make a photo become fine art.

What makes a drawing become Fine Art?
What makes a painting become Fine Art?
What makes a sculpture become Fine Art?
etc......

The answer to each of these will answer the first question as well. Art
does not have a different definition because it is Photography.

Before you decide if a photograph is Fine Art, first define Fine Art.

Photography is not a Fine Art, however a photograph may be. Notice the
difference? Painting is not a Fine Art. If it were, my house would be a
piece of Art. But a specific Painting may be Fine Art.

Just becuase I use some exotic paint with some painting I am working on,
does that make it Fine Art? What about if I use a special brush stroke?
What if I decide to do a Gelatin Silver Photographic print vs. a Platinum?

Too many people get caught up with the idea that using a certain technique
makes an image ART.

Just because something is done a certain way does not make it art. Adding
feathered or torn edges to a print will not raise it from 'a nice
photograph' to 'Fine Art.'

Jon
jon@jonlong.com