Re: Giclee prints

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 09/29/00-10:07:58 AM Z

You said in your message...

>A giclee print is a digital print... (albeit a high quality one that is more
>archival than most)

Giclee is a French term meaning to spray or splash. It has been
appropriated by any number of inkjet output users because, well...a
French word makes it sound more artsy and less digital than saying
"inkjet." We're destined to see this kind of term-dancing as long as
there is a lingering suspicion that "digital" implies easy, phony or
having limited archival properties.

While on the subject of inkjet printing, if you haven't seen the output
from an Epson 1160 or 3000 printer using Jon Cone's Quad Black
"Piezography" archival inks on watercolor paper, you NEED to. It's
outstanding. Jon's put together a package of pigmented inks AND software
that creates the handsomest mechanically produced print I've seen to
date. The prints have delicate highlights and detailed blacks, and all
with NO evidence of banding or dots.

The Piezography Photoshop Plug-in provides profiles for dozens of art
papers. These profiles practically guarantee your prints will look like
the grayscale images on your screen (assuming your monitor is
calibrated). It's a thoughtful, easy and precise approach to making
beautiful, lasting prints on your desktop.

I'm testing the Piezography inks for making desktop negatives and, though
the testing isn't complete, the results yet from inkjet negatives!

You can see all of Jon's materials and services at www.inkjetmall.com/.
And no, I don't work for Jon, though judging from the people I've talked
with at his Vermont studio, it might not be a bad place to hang ones hat.

I'm obviously a real big fan of the handmade print but I gotta admit it's
exciting to see this kind of development in printing options. I just
heard of a show of prints that measured 4" by 4' (yes, that's 4 INCHES
high and 4 FEET wide). It would be incredibly difficult to present work
like that in platinum. My hat's off to those who use digital methods to
expand the spectrum of what photography can do for life and art.

Thought you'd be interested. Now I gotta get back to the (wet,
traditional, analog ad nauseam) darkroom.

Dan

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."