Re: What makes photography art

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 09/29/00-01:58:54 PM Z

> > Sarah wrote:

> > And I really don't care whether others consider what I produce to be
art, or
> > not, since I have come to it step by step and it is what has emerged
like a
> > tree bearing fruit. We don't criticize trees for doing what they do or
birds
> > for singing the songs they sing.

The attitude that one doesn't care is one that I can not subscribe to -
human nature and the ego being what they are. Noone wants to produce
something that isn't accepted, at least generally if not widely - otherwise,
what's the point. On the surface, some maintain that premise. However, I
believe that the real message is more like, ""I know that what I am doing
may not be part of the mainstream and that it probably won't be accepted (at
least initially), but, one never knows"".

After all, how many masters started with that philosophy????

My thought is that if you do something that isn't accepted, you eventually
will loose the taste for it and you will do something else. It's like
banging your head against the wall or doing something that your not very
good at. You don't do those things for very long - in these two cases, it's
for very different reasons.

Just another thought.

Nick