Re: registering paper negatives

I punch holes in the masked border of my negatives (to aid in
re-registration), and then overmat the finished prints with plain white
board.  I prefer not to show ragged brush-mark borders, having the viewer
concentrate on the image itself.  IMO, the message should be "look at this
beautiful image", not "look, it's handmade".

Years ago, I entered two cyanotype/gum prints into a photography exhibition
in New Jersey.  Because of the overmats, no rough edges were visible.  One
print was awarded "Best in Show".  When I spoke to the judges (professional
photographers) at the opening, I asked if they knew what they were looking
at.  Not a clue!  But they loved the prints.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming