Re: applying images to ceramics

At 1:45 PM +0000 4/3/01, Rosae Reeder wrote:

>I am interested in exploring the possibility of applying images to
>ceracmics which can then be fired in the kiln without the image
>burning off. I have thought of many ways that this could possibly be
>done but none of them seem secure. I could always paint and maybe
>print with glazes but I am interested in applying photographic
>media, possibly something that could look like a gum print or a
>casein print to the clay body which can then be fired with a clear
>glaze.
>
>I have no idea which chemicals would not cause a terrible reaction
>with the heat and the gasses from the kiln. I am looking for any
>suggestions that anyone may have..are there any books on this
>subject? Can anyone reccomend any.
>Rosae

I have similar interests and have been doing very limited tests with
varying success which I'll share:

- Cyanotype will burn to a tan image that's not unattractive on high
fired clay.

- Gum as well as dusting-on process will work, especially if you use
glaze powders for pigments.

- For more predictable results, most people silkscreen images with
glaze colors onto transfer paper and attach them to clay for firing.

- Some of our students have quite good success with inking
photo-copied images and rubbing and thus transferring them onto clay
slabs. Resolution is quite limited, of course. Results attractive
though.

- Galina on this list is probably THE person who can give you the
real scoop on the subject. See Judy's article on her in Post Factory
Journal, one or two issues back.

Hope this helps.

Sam Wang