applying images to ceramics

I am interested in exploring the possibility of applying images to ceracmics
which can then be fired in the kiln without the image burning off. I have
thought of many ways that this could possibly be done but none of them seem
secure. I could always paint and maybe print with glazes but I am interested
in applying photographic media, possibly something that could look like a
gum print or a casein print to the clay body which can then be fired with a
clear glaze.

I have no idea which chemicals would not cause a terrible reaction with the
heat and the gasses from the kiln. I am looking for any suggestions that
anyone may have..are there any books on this subject? Can anyone reccomend
any.
Rosae