Re: peeling off emulsion and more. . .

Patty,
     I handcolor enormous amounts.  I'm not sure what you are questioning
about handcoloring but here goes:  if you are handcoloring polaroid
transfers on watercolor paper, try coating the transfer with Marshall's
extender and then using Marshall oils on top.  You can also use pastels (I
hate them myself--I'm an oil painter and can't stand the chalky feel of
pastels) and another choice is Berol Prismacolor pencils.  These are wax
based, not watercolor pencils.  You can also use watercolor pigments.
Actually, you can use about anything but I exclusively use Marshall's oils,
and an occasional Berol.  I trust their archivalness.  Oh, tho, pastels are
plenty archival, being pure pigment in different bases.
     If you are handcoloring BW prints, use semi-matte or matte paper.  I
recommend Forte, Agfa MCC 118, or Ilford MGIV matte.  Again, Marshall oils.
I finish mine by spraying with Krylon Crystal Clear which makes them glossy,
deepens colors, and protects.
     I could go on and on about handcoloring, but maybe my handout I give to
my class may help you--if you want it, email me off list and I can send you
an attachment.
     When matting, give the transfer room to breathe with maybe an inch of
exposed watercolor paper around the transfer showing (if your transfer
borders are not weepy as in due to your paper being too wet when you applied
the transfer and the color runs), and a window matt.  Make the matt with
larger borders to give them more importance and intimacy--draws you in to
look at the image closely, i.e if the transfer is 4x5, have the matt opening
6 x 7, and the borders of the overmatt maybe like 4 inches wide or more.
     Computer equipment question I will leave to those more knowledgeable,
except you cannot go wrong with Epson, either 1270 or 2000, but make sure
you check out the archival problems with the Epson printer before buying.
The 1270 is about $500 and the 2000 is about $900, right, list? The 2000 has
been designed to print archivally but there has been reports of instability
of the cyan ink on some papers.  I use an 800 and it is really inexpensive
now, if even made, and prints wonderfully. I want the Epson 3000 but that is
$1100 (prints 17x22!)
     If you are going to scan and print your transfers, you have to be even
more careful with your handcoloring because every little stroke shows when
printed large.  I have printed mine out at 17x22, and they're great!  On ink
jet canvas, and I am proceeding to varnish it with ageing and cracking
varnish to look even more ancient.  OH, it is an image of a wonderfully
sexy, nude, Barbie doll provocatively posed...
Chris