Re: peeling off emulsion

on 4/3/01 1:23 PM, jacques verschuren at info@jacquesverschuren.nl wrote:

> Anyone familiar with peeling off emulsion of RC paper in order to stick
> it onto e.g. watercolor paper or other surfaces and then maybe handcolor
> them?
>
> Jacques Verschuren

Take ANY RC print, color or b/w, and soak in water you can juuust barely
keep your hands in for a tiny few seconds.
This water would be about 141.63º F (I throw in the odd number for only a
wee bit of humor . . anywhere that temperature is copasetic).

Allow to lie fallow for one or two moments.

Gingerly and with dexterity and no timidity, plunge your hands in w/one
finger (your forefinger) start scraping one corner.
Say, take the letter . . L . . allow it to visually represent a corner of
the paper. Pulling your finger upwards, from lower left to upper right, you
will slowly start to separate the resin coating (RC) from the center piece
of paper. Of course, the water is too hot so you'll be pulling your hand in
and out saying, "Ouch, ouch ....ouch!"
With great fortitude and no trepidation, continue with this slightly
abrasive attack at the corner.
When an inky dinky portion of the resin coating is visible, you can pick the
paper from the water and with your fingernails (that is, if you are not the
nervous sort and bite them to the quick . . and, if you even have
fingernails) or a pair of tweezers, grasp the coating and start to pull at
it.
By alternately retaining the photograph in the hot water and pulling at this
coating, you will soon have a portion you can hold between your forefinger
and thumb.
At this point you will exclaim, "Ah ha, I seeee!"
Now, trying to keep the piece submersed and pulling w/the other hand, you
will find the emulsion and resin coating may be rather easily separated from
the paper.
If done as described above, very little paper will be attached to the resin
coating and, voila, you now have a rubbery mass of squinched emulsion.
Glues, staples, tacks or even small nails can be used to fasten this mass to
virtually any surface.
As Ms. Child often said, "Bon appétit !"

Jack Fulton