Re: Arches Platine

Ginger,

Platine is indeed a heavy paper, although it is just off-white rather than the golden glow you describe. It also has a smoother surface than Platinotype rather than a more textured one. I think you've got something else.  Rising Stonehenge, perhaps? That comes in many colors and is commonly found in art supply stores.

I've used Platine extensively since it was first introduced for DOP platinum/palladium printing, so here's my 2 cents worth:

I don't dry this paper with heat.  Simply allow to air dry.

For higher-key images, a single coat works quite well.

For full-range images with lots of dark areas, I prefer to double-coat this paper using two relatively thin coats. This give you killer blacks, if you want/need that. Double-coating also gives you more contrast.

It's best to have a "really good" negative for this paper.  Platine does not like contrast agents, especially chlorate in the sensitizer (ie Ferric Oxalate No. 2). It also does not seem to like the B&S Na2 contrast agent, except in very small quantities. It handles dichromated potassium oxalate developer for increased contrast fairly well.

Do not use Tween.

As someone else stated, Platine has proven to be fairly inconsistent from batch to batch, so it's best to buy as much as you can afford when you find a good batch.  The packages have batch numbers printed on them, so it's easy to keep track of what you've got. I've been told Arches papers in general are inconsistent and change seasonally due to the makeup of the water in the river that supplies the Arches mill.  I have no idea weather that is true or not.

Because of it's great wet strength, this is a wonderful paper for making very large prints.

Finally, Platine just plain feels good when you hold a finished print in your hand.

Kerik Kouklis
www.Kerik.com