Re: a lot of over-exposed negatives: what to do?

shannon stoney wrote:
> ... I have come to the conclusion that most of the negatives I
> made over the past year are over-exposed for those processes.  That is, I
> thought my film speed was 320 for alt-process as for silver,  and it's
> probably really closer to 400.  ...

I really suspect that you are confused.  It seems you have tried
measuring densities but have not really tried printing the negatives.
The negatives may not even be overexposed as you may think.  If you use
a speed of 320 for silver, it is likely that your speed for Pt/Pd would
be closer to 200 or 175 (using the same equipment and film).  Negatives
for Pt/Pd
printing will look very different from those for gelatin silver
printing, not just the contrast but speed point (Zone I) as well.

I would be happy to look at a couple of your negatives and let you
know.  If you are near Boston, MA we could meet or you could send some
me.  Let me know off list.

Film speed changes very little with development, developments greater
than N+3 might have some speed adjustment (around 1/4 to 1/2 stop,
about).  Although not really effecting the speed, one should carefully
control the temperature of the developer.  An increase in temperature
can easily over develop the negative.  Time, concentration, and
temperature must all be carefully controlled.  A temperature
compensating timer, such as that made by Zone VI (now part of Calumet)
works well.

I have also surmised from your posts that you are trying to learn a new
printing process and (it seems simultaneously) recover some work from
negatives that may have been processed to less quality than that
desired.
Another possibility is to is to ditch the old work (like cutting bait)
and move on to new work with a fresh begining.  I have done this many
times.  It is a good way to mature in one's work.  Is the main purpose
to master photography or be historian of some treasure trove?

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/