Re: correction Re: a lot of over-exposed negatives: what to do?

At 05:34 PM 04/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Judy Seigel wrote:
>> (although the stuff about Farmer's Reducer doing different types of
>> reduction according to the concentration is ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE -- if you
>> draw the curves, ALL are the same!)
>
>Actually, that statement should be modified... if you get way up toward
>D-Max of the film, contrast does change according to strength of farmer's.
>I haven't hauled out the old file to check, but as I recall, at least past
>log 2.0.  This may have had some meaning when Farmer's was invented, and
>negs were very dense, also for such as salt-print negs today, but AFAIK we
>rarely use them past 2.0 (at the outside).
>
>Judy

  According to the "book" Farmer's has a somewhat different effect when the
bleach and hypo are mixed than when bleaching and fixing are done separately.
  Kodak says that when the two steps are separate the reducer reduces
contrast. When the two parts are combined it cuts shadow areas (effectively
increasing contrast).
  Have you tested this and if so is it consistent with your results?
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com