Re: Farmer's Reducer Information.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Herbert C Maxey wrote:
> Incidentally, all 3 formulas of Kodak's Farmer's Reducer use the same two
> chemicals; Potassium Ferricyanide and Sodium Thiosulphate. the difference
> is in the dilution and mixing.

Well, as I was saying, not only have I not found those formulas to make
different contrasts at levels below, say, maybe 2.0, I've never yet met
anyone who says they did -- & that includes some fair experts, which I do
not claim to be.  I found results with the persulfate reducer just as
worse -- and another I forget the name of now, another bummer. Either film
was different in the days those formulas were made, or the folks were
authoritative fantasists (or liars).

I point out, however, that it is deceptive, because the SPEEDS of the
different reducers are different. So if you just eyeball it, you can think
oh yeah, different contrast. You have to PLOT THE CURVE (that is, read the
a 21-step test print by densitometer) and then chart it... and then look,
not at the DENSITY you've read, but at the CURVE, or the SLOPE .... all
will be PARALLEL below the stratosphere.

I did find some ways (on lith film anyway) to change contrast, one was
bleach and THEN intensify, another was a bleach I read about in Photo
Techniques before it was photo techniques, that worked, for what it
claimed, anyway. I forget the name, will look it up. Another which DOES
work to lower contrast but takes a LOT of trial and error, is harmonizing
-- that is you bleach back, then redevelop slowly and fix before all the
highlights have redeveloped. Trouble is you can't do it by eye (tho the
books claim you can), has got to be by timing, which takes some false
starts to zero in on.... And there may be better ways now -- from digital
to direct duplicating.