Re: Matting/Framing, etc.

Tom Ferguson wrote:

> A few comments.
>
> One: having a "shop" do your mats gets expensive quickly.  That I know from
> early experience!  It isn't that hard to do your own.

I'm not entirely convinced it's always less expensive to do the work
yourself than have it done by a shop. Case in point: A friend and I each
had a show opening about the same time last fall. I did my own framing,
as I always do; she had her framing done by a shop, as she always does.
My materials (and I use cheap aluminum frame sections, nothing special)
came to over $1,000; her bill at the framing shop was $949. The framing
took four days of my time in addition to the $1,000. Next time I'm going
to get a bid from some shops before I go to the trouble of doing it
myself again.
Katharine Thayer