Re: Source for 1160 Printers for inkjet negatives

Hi Judy,

You said in your message...

>1. why the negative can't be made simply in black ink.  For instance I'm
>getting adequate density according to densitometer with the 1160 & black
>ink on vellum.  I haven't printed it yet (about to), but I do understand
>that the quadtones cost more than the printer (I got mine at refurbdebpot
>in January pretty cheap) and I assume yet ANOTHER learning curve with
>them.

When you use "just black," you're only exploiting 1/4 of the printer's
resolution potential. What makes inkjet output so smooth is the
overlapping of four or six colors. In the case of Piezography, the
software seamlessly blends the three grays and black. Make sure you have
the latest version of the Piezo driver (5.1.3e).

>Since I'm feeling need to hoard any brain cells not yet allocated, I'm
>wondering if the quadtones aren't a refinement more appropriate for
>longscale platinum than shortscale gum... ???

Good point. Having not printed gum, I can't really say. And (you'll
probably jump on me for this) the "sometimes" less detail nature of gum
could be more forgiving of the single ink approach.
If you ever want the most lush black and white output on cotton papers,
you're gonna love the Piezography prints.

>2. Meanwhile, what are you printing the quadtones on?  Pictorico?  Where
>can I get that in size 13 by 19 inches -- any ideas?

Yes, they now have it in several roll sizes at www.pictorico.com/roll.asp
where you'll find 17, 24, 36 and 42-inch widths...so yes, you'll have to
cut your film on a Rototrim.
You can also purchase the Pictorico at http://www.uncletim.com/film/.

Hope this helps,

Dan