My First Digital Pigment Over Platinum

Now that the initial batch of testing is complete, you can see my first
group of Pigment Over Platinum images at the following:

http://www.danburkholder.com/pigmentoverplatinum/frameset.htm

It was hard to get interested in color when our control was so limited,
particularly when it came to expressing the image as a print. That's all
changed in the past year. Not only can we have fine control of color and
contrast, we can also make prints that last longer than other color
processes. After two decades of working in black and white, color
photography is again exciting.

So there I was building a renewed interest in color yet wondering how I
could reconcile that with my love of platinum printing and my need to
make things with my hands. The light bulb came on when I realized I could
once again combine the old with the new. But this time, instead of simply
using digital negatives to print platinum, I'd combine the traditional
platinum print with digitally applied color pigments.

There was no film used for these images. They were shot with proconsumer
grade digital cameras. From there I made the desktop digital negatives
and printed in platinum/palladium. I apply the pigment in registration on
an Epson 7000 inkjet printer using Jon Cone's Color Piezography pigments.
These pigments are estimated to last in excess of 200 years and are
reportedly superior to Epson's own pigments.

Obviously, the ratio of pigment to platinum varies from image to image.
I'm having a blast developing a feel for how much tone to attribute to
the platinum and how much color to assign to the pigments. It's a
wonderful dilemma.

I almost feel like I'm discovering photography all over again. The rough
idea, the thrill of the unknown, the tribulations of failed experiments
and the rush of accomplishment...it's the same thing that got me
interested in photography 35 years ago.

Please forgive the amateurish web design for this particular page. Facing
deadlines, I let Photoshop build this page automatically in seconds.
Later I'll gussy it up to look like the rest of my site.

And thanks for taking the time to view the images. Feedback is welcome
though I fear replies will be slow in coming owing to an out of control
list of obligations that are calling for attention.

This is the first suite of Pigment Over Platinums; it's hardly a series
or portfolio. Heck, I might not even be content with some of these in a
few weeks. I just wanted to let you see what I've been up to. Rest
assured many more images are to come.

Best,

Dan

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."