Re: Digital negatives for gum printing

Hi Joe,
That was a lot to read and I'll need to peruse it more carefully later,
but just a couple of quick remarks, since I'm going to be gone for a few
days and no doubt everyone will be on to something else when I get back,
not to mention that I've been spending way too much time here lately and
need to get back to work.

1. I feel the same as you do about the mechanical nature of the halftone
printing process vs continuous tone; they really do seem like different
printing processes to me; one photographic, the other more a branch of
commercial printing or something. You and I draw our lines differently
about what parts of desktop digital fit on which side of that equation,
and it seems kind of an odd exercise anyway, to try to determine what's
"good" digital (more like continuous tone) and what's "bad" digital
(oooh, boo, more like halftone) because it's all digital, after all, and
I guess I just don't even want to go there.

2. I've seen the partial print and stepwedge you refer to; all it
convinced me of was that you had compressed the tonal range of the
negative to fit the tonal range of the gum; that was the test I was
referring to in my earlier post when I said that could be done without
quadtone. The print itself did not seem remarkable in its detail, tonal
separation, or other qualities, and could be produced using what you
consider lesser digital negative types, in my opinion.

This is not to take away anything of the joy and satisfaction you have
in your new system, it's just to say I'm not seeing yet what all the
fuss is about. A kind soul has generously offered to make me a quadtone
negative from an image of mine so I can make a gum print from it and
draw my own conclusions; no doubt this will happen in due time.
.
Katharine