Re: good 4x5 prints; hand made books; backpacking larger formatcameras

In a message dated 08/05/2001 17:30:08, shannonstoney@earthlink.net wrote:

<<I would like to get a larger camera and
I'm trying to decide between 8x 10 and 5x7 format for my larger camera.  I
carry my camera around my neighborhood in a backpack; how much heavier is an
8x10 camera than a 5x7 or 4x5?  The 4x5 and all its gear is not heavy at all
to me, at least for my relatively short outings of an hour or two.

--shannon>>

Hi Shannon,

The 8x10 will have the same aspect ratio as your 4x5, if that is important to
you.  I actually prefer the 5x7 format and have just started photographing
with a newly acquired 5x7 field camera.  It is much more portable than the
8x10 I had, especially if you wish to take along several lenses and film
holders.  In terms of cost and lens availability/flexibility, the 5x7 also
wins.

But there are some drawbacks.  Film choice is more limited with 5x7.  And,  a
note from a reliable source was just posted in the rec.large-format.equipment
newsgroup that Kodak is discontinuing some common film sizes in small box
quantities in the 4x5 format.  Stuff like TMAX 400 in 25 sheet boxes and some
10 sheet boxes of chrome film.  Can 5x7 be far behind?  5x7 may be even more
difficult to find in the near future.  8x10 is more popular and will probably
survive longer.  (I decided to go with Bergger and Ilford films when I bought
the 5x7 because of Kodak's marketing/manufacturing policies, and now I'm even
more glad I did.)

Lenses for the 5x7 will be less expensive and you will  have a larger variety
of focal lengths for different applications with more bang for the buck.  I
have several lenses that work on formats from 4x5 through 11x14 and adapt
well to the 5x7 format.  Plus, and this may be the most important point
relative to the discussion of print size, a 5x7 contact print seems just
about right for me.  Large enough to see the details, yet still an intimate
size.  I much prefer it to 4x5.  Also, a 5x7 enlarger will be easier to come
by and less expensive than an 8x10 should you decide to make larger
projection prints.  And, with both formats, reduction backs to 4x5 are
available if you wish to continue using that format.  An 8x10 with reduction
back will be much harder to pack around than the 5x7/4x5 combo.

Hope this is helpful.

Joe