Re: good 4x5 prints; hand made books; backpacking larger format cameras

Shannon Stoney wrote:

> Joe and someone else (sorry, I lost the message) mentioned handmade
> books--do y'all mean books that someone else made by hand, and you buy them
> and mount pictures in them, or do you  make your own hand bound books?  I
> would like to learn to do that.  Also the presentation box with mounted
> prints in it is a good idea for small prints I think.

Shannon, it was probably I. I think bookmaking by hand is a fantastic
way to present your (small) work, both by personalizing the presentation
and by controlling the experience of the "viewing."

There are a lot of bookmaking workshops around... look for a good art
paper supplier and ask. As I recall you are at least in Texas -- Houston
?? I know Dallas (where I'm originally from) has a wealth of bookmaking
activities. In Denton, at Texas Womans University, Susan Grant is the
regional goddess of all things bookish. Paper Routes, a paper (candy!)
store is near Fair Park and has regular workshops too. There is also a
bookart list (like this list) where there are people from around the
country who know about what you'd need to get started.