Re: Re: Printmaking in the Sun

In a message dated 08/09/2001 17:44:02, holtsg@duke.usask.ca wrote:

<<Has anyone tried the processes(es) in this book?>>

Hi Gord et.al.,

Here's the link to an image showing a solarplate:

http://members.aol.com/smieglitz/solarplate.jpg

The solarplate shown is a photogram done by "Wendy", a student at an art camp
for visually-impaired kids.  The solarplate provided a relief image the blind
kids could interpret tactually.  Really very cool.  I later took the plate
and ran it through a press onto BFK.

It was a great tool at the camp and let the totally blind kids participate in
sunprinting.  Also nice that it is nontoxic and very easy to process in plain
water.  I think it looks cool visually as well.

BTW, the image largely consists of dried Indian Pipes (Monotropa sp.), a
saprophytic plant that does not use sunlight to photosynthesize.  Kind of
ironic that it doesn't use the sun and would end up in an sunprinted image
done by a blind child.

Joe