epson banding & systems

Hi:

I did some very preliminary testing of printing with different systems and
drivers on my humble epson stylus photo 700 & PC.

I printed the same image file on the same printer in color on plain paper.
Its a low resolution scan saved as a jpg of a cyanotype intended for a web
page (120dpi)

I just wanted to see if there was a difference between prints made using
different systems and drivers on the same equipment.

>From windows I used the standard windows epson driver and got banding.
It looks like the printer consistently put too much ink at the same points
on each pass of the printer head. Printing the image with the paper in
portrait alignment the banding is vertical.  Printing with the paper in
landscape alignment produces horizontal banding.  The banda are along an
axis 90 degrees from the path of the printer head across the paper.

I printed from both photoshop and netscape.

Is this the typical kind of banding that people find with epsons?

Using linux and the CUPS driver for this printer I got an image with
absolutely no banding. The image is not as dense or as contrasty as the
windows image. I printed both in both landscape and portrait alignments
and used linux netscape and GIMP.  Again no banding what so ever.

I'm almost out of black ink, I'll try Keith Gerlings suggestions about
refilling and do this in black

I'll try scanning something at a much higher resolution and see what
results I get.

Gord

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Keith Gerling wrote:
> >
> .  I would really appreciate seeing
> > ANY comparisons of gum prints using:
> >
> > 1) Black vs. color demonstrating color is better
>

> I'm printing negatives today so tried to sneak in a black one for
> comparison, but no matter what options I choose I get banding with
> black, and am not interested in spending any more time with it. So I
> won't be providing any data on the question one way or the other. Keith
> says his negatives printed with black ink print gum just as good as the
> negatives printed with color inks; I'll take his word for it but I still
> have to print in color anyway, darn. Those black cartridges are so much
> cheaper.
>
> Judy said a while back that when she tries to print in color she gets
> blue midtones or something. Different machines, different media; I get a
> nice neutral black throughout. If black works for you, all the better.
> Katharine

Gordon J. Holtslander		Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca		112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg	University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433		Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461		Canada  S7N 5E2