RE: Digital negatives for gum printing

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Keith Gerling wrote:

> Ok, since we're talking about expensive inks, I'll disclose a secret that
> will save a fortune in ink, and doesn't involve the whole messy procedure
> typically involved in refilling cartridges:
>
> 1) Insert Epson ink cartridges into the Printer.
> 2) Drill two tiny holes into the top of each of the cartridges.

In my printer, once cartridges are inserted they're out of sight... unless
you send them to left by some strategy I forget.... What if you drilled
before inserting?

> 3) As you print, occasionally top off the ink cartridges with a needle and
> syringe.  (Buy ink from a place like MIS)

Some 3rd party inks are supposed to be incompatible with various of the
Epson inks & make godawful mess. Will MIS tell you if OK???

> 4) When the printer tells you its out of ink, briefly (and I mean VERY
> briefly - so as to not introduce air) move the cartridge forward and then
> reseat.  This resets the ink status.

In 1160 as far as I know cartridges don't come forward, but only, as
noted, go left.

> During major negative printing sessions, I've been able to print many MANY
> cartridges worth of ink without the printer knowing the difference!

Doesn't the hole in the cartridge let the sponge dry out?  Do you plug it
with anything, or is it so small doesn't matter?  And when you drill,
doesn't junk fall into the ink?

They talked about syringes on the Epson list, but didn't make clear that
this was the (so to speak) drill. Is there a website shows how to do this
or gives more details?

Judy