Re: epson banding & systems

Hi:

It looks like the banding would be caused by a consistent pattern of
uneven ink depostion across each pass rather than a problem with the paper
advance.  I think the banding would be different if caused by the paper
transport.  The uneveness is in the same axis that the printer head
moves across the paper.  I think it would be the other way if the
transport caused the uneveness.

I'm printing on plain cheap 20 lb "multiuse paper". I think a thicker
paper may solve the problem but I would prefer to use a thin paper if I'm
going to make paper negs.  Do people have this problem with the various
tranparency or velums?

Time for some ascii art :)

This will only look right if this is viewed with a fixed width font - ie
courier on PC not sure what on a Mac

 ---
|   |
|   |  paper is aligned in portrait mode
|   |  image printed with upper edge pointing up ( ^ this way)
 ---

the printer head travels this way <->
while the paper travels this way \/

The banding pattern in like this:

 | | | |
 | | | |

where each | represents a band of darker ink.

There is a pattern of vertical bands of darker ink going  from
the top edge to the bottom edge spaced about 3/4 of a inch apart.

If the banding was caused by poor paper transport I would expect the
banding to be in the axis 90 degree to the path of the paper, like this:

If the paper transport was uneven then there would be blanks or overlaps
in an axis 90 degrees to the paper transport.

If this ins't clear I can make a better diagram or even scan the prints
and put it on a web page.

Gord