Developing Lith Negs with Dilutions of PQ etc.,

Hi List Folk,  Gordon has brought up the issue of using altered developers.
Judy has mentioned diluted developers. My own current experience is with
making enlarged negatives from color transparencies which are inherently
contrasty.  I have used weak dilutions of 25ml concentrate PQ to 2 Litres of
Water.(The normal dilution is 100ml PQ to 1 Litre Water) Obviously, this
dilution is exhausted very quickly and has to be replaced after two or three
10" X 8", but I can be sure that each result is repeatable and all I need to
do is to gradate exposure times to achieve a variety of densities in the
negative. The above dilution is approx 72 -1 instead of 9 - 1. I have used
less dilutions which produce increased contrast. The object, though, is to
reduce contrast when working with Lith film and color trannies. I have found
this method is very useful when making negs  10" X 8" and larger for Direct
Carbon printing.
                  Hope this might be useful to someone.
                     John Grocott- Photographist