Re: What is PQ?

> >Maybe I missed it, but what is PQ?
>
> Phenidone Hydroquinone (PQ) is a commercially produced print and film
> developer which has been around for many years.
> BTW.   15 large eggs cost about one dollar. How is the Albumen printing
> going? Best wishes with your low contrast negs.
>                        John Grocott-Photographist and Direct Carbon
> Printer.

John

I think you probably mean Ilford PQ Universal.

Other manufacturers have also sold products called PQ developers (I
think I used a Paterson one) with slightly different formulations, though
it was Ilford who introduced phenidone as a safer replacement for metol
way back. PQ Universal is a good paper developer and I also used it for
most of my large format negs, especially when I wanted higher than normal
contrast for alt processes as it gives low fog levels.

I think in the USA it may just be sold as Ilford Universal Developer -
which is listed in the B&H catalogue and I suspect is the same.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About          http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/