Re: Canon S800 vs. Epson Line

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia Figliola Lewis" <pflewis@hotmail.com>

Allow me, pls, to input my 0.02 worth of comments.

> I've looked at Epsons and what I do NOT like about them is that many seem
> very tied to traditional photographic sizes, such as 4x6.  While many
people
> will LIKE that feature, I cannot foresee a time when i will print
something
> 4x6 (or 8x10, etc) from a nearly square sx-70 print.  Even when I start
> learning transfer techniques, although they are LESS square, they still, I
> don't think, print in traditional ratio sizes.

I doubt there is a printer, this days, that do not allow you to set CUSTOM
paper sizes.  Even my old Lexmark 3200 allows me to do that.

> When you say, "If you just want to print color images, go for the Canon;
If
> you want flexibility and choices, go for an Epson," what do you mean?

Arguable, Epson is 1 (perhaps 2) steps ahead of the competition in print
technology/quality, therefore many 3rd party suppliers of archival inks and
related technology direct their efforts exclusively to Epson printers.  You
then have stuff like CIS systems (www.nomorecarts.com), QuadTone,
Piezography (www.piezography.com), etc that come to increase the features of
an Epson printer (at a price I must say).

> I also want to make some pretty small prints -- for notecards and such.
> Already I am having to "trick" my current printer into accepting these
paper
> sizes.  I am less interested in using traditional photographic paper and
> will contimue with using more "art" papers more than anything else.  Do my
> size and paper type requirements change your opinion at all?

See above.

Guillermo